Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What are the Physical Benefits of Yoga?

Yoga has so many different benefits it's hard to name them all. There are a few favorites of mine that I would love to share, however.

Yoga, has been proven to help lower blood pressure. Creating oxygenation through your body by becoming more flexible creates better circulation, resulting in lower blood pressure. Breathing exercises are also very common, because it strengthen your lungs and helps you to control your breathing pattern. Once you have established breathing properly, you will notice that other daily activities, such as walking, or climbing up stairs are easier to do just from breathing exercises.

I have seen the most change in my posture from doing yoga. I am 5'11 and very slender so most people are shorter than me. Because of this, growing up I would slouch down and never stood up correctly. From doing this, the muscles in my back got so weak, before yoga, it actually hurt to hold my back up straight. Yoga, strengthens your muscles in areas that have been neglected for some time, thus making you feel amazing once rehabilitated.

Another favorite thing about my yoga experience is how much energy I have now! In fact, most yogis state that when you perform your yoga correctly, you will feel energized after your yoga session rather than tired. Doing yoga gives you the ability to become more aware of your body. In yoga, you are requested to make subtle movements that will improve your alignment. Over time, this will increase your level of comfort in your own body. This can lead to improved posture and greater self-confidence. Everyone desires self confidence, right?

Most importantly, stress. I know that I am referencing physical benefits, but haven't you noticed a difference in how your body feels when you are stressed in comparison to when you are relaxed? Yoga demands high concentration when trying to hold a pose that is quite difficult. Because your focus is so attentive on this one thing, other problems that you may have await you after class. Once class is over, you feel so energized and relaxed at the same time, (if you are anything like me) you feel like you can take on the world!



Walker, M. (n.d.). 77 surprising health benefits of yoga.Nursing Degree.com.Retrieved February 21, 2010, from: http://www.nursingdegree.net/blog/24/77-surprising-health-benefits-of-yoga/.

No comments:

Post a Comment